Tricks and traps custom map for Hammerwatch
Tricks and traps is a custom campaign built for the fantastic indie co-op dungeon crawler Hammerwatch. This campaign is inspired by the Doom II level of the same name.
- Get Hammerwatch
- Download "tricks and traps" custom campaign from me or subscribe to it on the steam workshop
- Unzip this file inside your hammerwatch/levels folder
- launch a custom game using the tricks and traps campaign
- This campaign is supposed to be hard and is ideally completed with one or two players.
- Ranger is easy mode (as in the vanilla game).
- There is an optimal path through the level where difficulty ramps up slowly and the upgrades you find allow you to take on the harder rooms.
- However it is also possible to complete it very quickly once you know where the right keys are.
- When you finish the campaign it will tell you how many secrets you have found of which there are 7 in total and the aim really is to find them all.
Here's a playthrough which contains spoilers by a Spanish gaming channel on youtube:
#What is Hammerwatch?
Hammerwatch is a great indie game by Jochum Skoglund and Niklas Myrberg which also comes with a really simple level editor for creating custom content. The game is similar to classic dungeon crawlers like Gauntlet or the more modern Magicka.
#Why recreate a Doom level?
When playing through the game I was struck by how much it shares with the Doom games. Despite the obvious differences (most notably of course Doom is a first person perspective game while Hammerwatch is a top down game) they have a lot in common thematically:
- Overwhelming hordes of enemies
- Fast paced combat where your character's speed is your best defense
- Lots of secrets to discover and puzzles to solve
- Hidden walls
When I started playing with the Hammerwatch level editor I realised that while it is very easy to build a simple campaign, What I wanted to do was going to be a bit more complicated given the complexity of the Tricks and Traps level with all the moving walls, hidden secrets and teleports. Here is a video of somebody speedrunning through the level to give you some idea:
If you're interested in learning how to create Hammerwatch custom campaigns or mods I have collected some useful links here: